Friday 27 January 2012

Year of the dragon - 2012


At our early morning Pts' meeting we discussed the arrangements for next week's prelims, management restructuring and the 'Speakers for Schools' initiative. This Friday meeting with pts is an excellent Jghs tradition and is one I am keen to continue with. Friday is my turn to be on call and, as the morning was very quiet, I took the opportunity to visit a few classrooms and catch up on correspondence.

At morning break I learned about another long standing Jghs tradition - the cake club! By joining, as I have done, I agreed to bake a cake to share with the other 40+ members when my 'opportunity' comes around. When earlier this evening I shared with my wife what I had committed to she expressed considerable concern at the possible health risks that may lie in store for my unsuspecting colleagues.

I value weekends as I get a bit of space to reflect on the week's progress and they provide me with the opportunity to spend quality time with Alice and the girls. We try to ensure that the girls' homework commitments are completed on week nights to free up time to relax. The girls are now 8 and 11 and I'm aware that before too long they'll want to spend more time with their peers rather than with mum and dad.

During this weekend we will celebrate the Chinese new year by taking part in a number of events with friends. On Saturday we will join the Chinese community at Liberton High School for a few hours in the afternoon and on Sunday we will go out for lunch with a number of other families that have also adopted kids from China. I would like to take this opportunity of wishing all of you, and especially our Chinese families a very happy and prosperous new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment