Dear Parents, Carers, Pupils, Partners and Colleagues,
I’d like to begin by thanking all in our school community for the many ways you have contributed to the JGHS community over the past term. The past few weeks have been extraordinary and challenging to say the least, but, once again, the commitment of all to ensure we continue to provide for all of our young people has been incredible. Over the next 2 weeks all JGHS staff are expected to take a step back to spend time with their own families so there will be a break in delivering the services we currently provide to our school community.
We will resume on Tuesday 21 April from which point we will provide more online learning materials for pupils in all year groups and an increased focus for those in S4 and 5.
SQA Arrangements (Mr Shankland)
- Earlier today an email with the latest information from the SQA was sent to parents of pupils in S4, 5 and 6. https://www.jamesgillespies.co.uk/sqa-update/
- We will continue to update parents and pupils after more information and clarification is received.
Arrangements for children of Key Workers (Mr Donald j Macdonald liaising with Council Officers)
- City of Edinburgh officers have made arrangements for the children of key workers to attend schools (called HUBs) at various locations around the city.
- This provision will continue over the Easter period.
- Communications will come directly from the City of Edinburgh Council.
- If you are a Key Worker and you do not receive the relevant information then please email us and we will relay your enquiry to the relevant council personnel.
Vulnerable Pupils (Mr Ian Porter and Mrs Laura Stewart)
- I’m grateful to all of our staff, supported by a number of partners, who continue to support our more vulnerable pupils and families.
- If you are in need of any support or you know of a family that is, please email us to let us know. If we cannot provide the support then we will find someone who can.
- Our admin email will continue to be checked each day and we will continue to respond to urgent requests.
Online Learning (Mrs Deirdre O’Brien and Mr Jeff Warden)
- Earlier today we emailed S1,2 and 3 parents to get feedback on our initial online learning provision.
- We will use this feedback to refine our current S1,2 and 3 provision and to inform the development of our online learning provision for S4 and 5 pupils.
- We appreciate that many are still finding their feet in regards to online learning and some may be struggling to manage the volume of tasks and activities that have been set. Please rest assured that tasks set are not prescriptive and should not become a source of stress or worry.
And finally, I’d like to wish all members of the JGHS community a safe and peaceful weekend. We hope that all will find ways to relax and rejuvenate over the Easter break. To those in our community who are involved in providing essential services; a heartfelt thank you for doing all that you do for others.
My quote of the week: “Love recognises no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope’ (Maya Angelou)
Kindest regards to all,
Donald j Macdonald (Headteacher)
Donald j Macdonald (Headteacher)
James Gillespie’s High School
( Phone: 0131 447 1900