- We continue to collect the following items for Children 1st. Items should be dropped off at reception.
- Winter woollies for children aged 0-5 such as scarves, gloves, mitts and hats - NEW
- Toys for young children and toddlers aged 0-3years - NEW
- Christmas treats such as selection boxes
- For our South Africa project we are aiming to collect full pencil cases that also contain a letter for each recipient. Additionally, children’s fiction books will be given to some primary schools in South Africa.
- The annual photographs for S6 will be taken on the morning of Thursday 30 November. There will be individual and whole group photos. S6 must be here to be in it!
- On the afternoon of Tuesday 28 November I look forward to welcoming Ms Lorna Sweeney to JGHS. Ms Sweeney was recently appointed to the post of Senior Education Manager in the Children and Families department.
- Staff are currently making preparations for prelim exams which are scheduled to take place from mid-January. Details will be shared as soon as arrangements are finalised.
- Earlier this week, staff from our Curriculum review group received training on the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework. http://scqf.org.uk This will help us in our efforts to continually review and develop curriculum opportunities on offer to pupils.
- Staff, parents and senior students are currently very busy preparing personal statements and references for university entry in the Autumn of 2018. In this year’s S6 cohort we have around 160 who are applying for a university. Pleasingly, early applicants to Medicine Veterinary and Oxbridge are getting very positive responses.
- On Wednesday of next week a group of 12 senior Educationalists from Holland will be joining us to share practices in relation to how we support diverse needs and inclusion within our school community.
- Preparations are well underway for the S3 Trenches Trip next year. Please find a link to important information regarding the trip: http://jamesgillespies.co.uk/history-trenches-trip-2018
- Dates for the diary:
- The senior Drama production takes place on Friday 8 December. Tickets on sale from Monday 4 December.
- There will be a coursing information briefing for parents/carers (S2, 4 and 5) on the evening of Tuesday 12 December. Details to follow.
- School Christmas concert takes place on evening of Tuesday 19 December in the Usher Hall. Tickets are available now from the Usher Hall box office. http://www.usherhall.co.uk/whats-on?page=2
- A reminder that the Edinburgh Maths Circle will take place this Saturday (25th November) from 13:00 until 16:00. Please do drop in if you are free, and take part in an afternoon of maths puzzles, games and activities! Information can be found at http://tinyurl.com/edmathscircle.
- Well done to our Junior girls volleyball team who, earlier this week, beat Belmont House School, narrowly losing the first set and winning the second and final set. They are now through to the semi-finals!
- Well done to Kudla (S1) who took 2nd place in the British Youth Go Championship in the under 12 category, last Saturday in Birmingham. The results table can be found here:https://www.britgo.org/results/2017/youth. Pupils interested in joining the new JGHS Go club should talk to Mr Maclaughland when he comes back from leave. Go is a strategy board game that originated over 3,000 years ago in China and is very much a part of oriental culture. Go gathered a lot of media attention earlier this year when an artificial intelligence program called AlphaGo beat world champions Lee Sedol and Ke Jie for the first time in history.
And finally, I wish all a super weekend.
Donald j Macdonald