1. Welcome back to everyone after what I hope was a super Easter break.
2. Well done to all those who took part in last night’s inaugural Dance Show and also to all who supported the event in various ways.
3. A South Africa Information night was held last night for those wishing more information in regard to the South Africa Project in February 2019
4. An information night for pupils going on the (Geography) Arran field trip took place on Wednesday evening.
5. S1's will be allowed out of school at breaks and lunchtimes from Monday 30 April. The expectations around this will be discussed at an S1 assembly next week.
6. Easter Revision classes were well attended. Thanks to staff for giving up part of their Easter break to support pupils.
7. Exam leave for S4 and S5 begins next Friday 27 April and for S6 on Monday 30 April. Best wishes to all for the forthcoming examinations.
8. Welcome to pupils from our German partner school in Bavaria who arrived on Thursday 19 April. Sincere thanks to our host families.
9. Warmest congratulations to our senior girls who won their Netball final just prior to the Easter break and were crowned Scottish Schools’ bronze champion 2018. This is a fantastic achievement given that our club just started this session.
10. Well done to the following students who graduated from ‘Careers Ready’ completing a two year programme.
a. Adam Al Bulushi
b. Yahyaa Saddique
c. Amber Ali
d. Salmaan Ali
e. Kosta Herman
Careers Ready is a two year voluntary programme run in conjunction with local employers. E.g. Blackrock, Royal Bank of Scotland and The Scottish Parliament. Working directly with employers S5 students work with their own industry mentor who helps them fulfil their career aspirations. During the programme each student receives Professional mentoring every 4-6 weeks and a paid internship at the workplace of their mentor’s Workplace. Masterclasses on skills career success are also offered. Thanks to Ms Forrester and Ms Wilson for coordinating this programme on behalf of JGHS.
11. On the afternoon of Thursday 26 April I look forward to welcoming Cllrs Perry and Dickie to JGHS. They will be meeting with pupils and staff and are keen to find out more about how we operate as a school.
And finally, I take this opportunity of wishing all a lovely weekend. Here’s hoping the Spring sunshine continues!
Donald j Macdonald (Ceannard/Headteacher)