Monday 30 September 2013

Magic moments

Undoubtedly, my favourite moments in teaching occur through interactions I have with pupils. When I set off on a walk round the school you never really know what's going to happen or who you're going to speak with. I think that's why I consider my job to be so special and magical.

Last week, whilst I was speaking with a parent at our reception, a S1 boy sidled up to me and when he caught my eye he asked me if I could help him. On enquiring further he asked me if I could post a letter for him. I was curious to say the least, as no pupil had ever made this request of me before. Thus, I enquired further. 'John' then explained that he wanted to write to the White House to offer advice on how they should respond to the unfolding events taking place in Syria. I was intrigued.

John explained to me that he had been listening to the news and felt strongly about what was happening and so he felt compelled to write. Reaching in to his well stocked schoolbag John retrieved and shared with me a neatly folded piece of A4 paper.  I unfolded it and read John's letter.

Dear Mr Obama,
I am a first year pupil at James Gillespie's High School and I would like to offer you some advice on how to deal with the Syrian Government. I think the Americans should attack from the East and the British from the west. 

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you would like to discuss this further.

Yours sincerely,

John


I suggested to John that he should hand his letter in to reception so that Mrs Gordon would make the necessary arrangements.

After break, Mrs Gordon asked me what she should do with the letter. Without hesitation I suggested we enclose a 'With Compliments' slip and post the letter to America. I'll be really interested to see if John gets a response.

Later in the day, as John was departing, he once again came to speak with me and politely enquired if the letter had been posted. I explained that it had. 'Good' he said, I'll have another one tomorrow for Downing Street and Buckingham Palace.

No comments:

Post a Comment