Tuesday 5 March 2013

Another busy day

After a break from writing my blog I thought I would begin by sharing the main activities I was involved in today. Unusually, most of the day was taken up with meetings.

My school day began with a quick scan through the email inbox and having responded to a number of the 84 emails that awaited me I then prepared for our customary 845 senior team briefing. This meeting gives us an opportunity to share what our priorities are for the day and for us to ensure that each of us is aware of what others are planning on achieving.

At 930 I met with Grace Vickers our (new) Quality improvement officer to discuss some of the information that Edinburgh Council asks us to provide each session at this time of year. The least enjoyable part of my job involves completing forms and various statistical returns for others. A brief visit to our school assembly to see some of our pupils engaging with potential employers, colleges and universities was great. So gratifying so see our youngsters taking advantage of the opportunity to make contact with prospective employers etc. 

At 1100 I met with Messrs McCallum (DHT)  and Anderson (Business Manager) to discuss staffing requirements for next session. Our planning is a bit more complex this year as we need to employ around 5 extra teaching staff during the next three years whilst the school is being rebuilt.

My next meeting at midday was with Ms Halliday and two Government representatives. This meeting gave us the opportunity to plan for a ministerial visit scheduled for the morning of Tuesday 12 March. I am delighted that pupils at Gillespie's have been given the opportunity to discuss the right to vote for 16/17 year olds with a senior politician. I think its great that younger pupils will soon have the right to vote. Whilst I was showing our visitors around the school I was pleased to hear how impressed they were with the exemplary behaviour and conduct of our pupils.

After a few discussions with pupils and colleagues around the school I travelled to our Council HQ to meet with a team of Investors in People reviewers. Having achieved Gold standard in 'Investors in People' some years ago the council is obliged to undertake reassessment every two years. I enjoyed my detailed discussion with the panel and took the opportunity to highlight the many benefits of working in the City of Edinburgh.

A brisk walk back to school through the meadows got me there at 530 in time to meet with a small group of parents and Rachel Gray (S6 pupil and our Pipe Major) to discuss progress on our fundraising efforts for the JGHS pipe band. Pleasingly we have made progress but we still have a further £10,000 to raise. We are hoping to attract further sponsorship in the coming months.

Prior to setting off for home I managed to speak with a few of our S2 parents who were at the school to meet with teachers. S2 pupils are currently selecting the 8 subjects which they will study in S3 and S4. Those I spoke with were very pleased with the progress reports they had received.










No comments:

Post a Comment